So tonight I made a recipe that fi and I love... so I thought I would share with everyone.. this is a recipe I found through www.recipezaar.com , which happens to be one of my favorite websites :)
So here we go:
Wet Burritos Recipe #33665
Having grown up with these, I didn't realize that most folks have never heard of a wet burrito. It is a meat and bean (or all meat or all bean) burrito with a spicy gravy and cheese on top. They are available here in many restaurants, and no self respecting bar would be without one on the menu, lol! Once you try them, you'll never go back to "dry" burritos again! Don't let the long list of directions scare you, these are easy!
35 min 15 min prep
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes,in sauce divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or you can use mexican blend)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups refried beans, with
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin,added
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) jar homestyle beef gravy for serving
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- chopped lettuce
- chopped tomato
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic, making sure to chop ground beef into very fine pieces while cooking.
- Drain off any fat from browning.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, paprika, oregano, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and half of the can of tomatoes with sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While meat is simmering, heat beans with 1/4 tsp. cumin, and make gravy.
- For gravy, combine enchilada sauce, beef gravy, and the other half of tomatoes, and heat until almost boiling.
- Soften tortillas according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Assemble burritos.
- On each tortilla, layer 1/4 of the meat mixture, 1/4 of the bean mixture, and 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Fold sides of burrito in, then roll from the other sides until you have a"package".
- Place seam side down in a 13x9 baking dish.
- When all burritos are assembled and in the baking dish, pour sauce mixture over all and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and burritos are heated through.
- Serve each burrito with extra sauce from pan spooned over the top.
- Have sour cream, chopped onions, salsa, jalapenos, chopped lettuce and chopped tomatoes available to sprinkle on as desired.
© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
Share your experience with others, and post your comments on the recipe. Type 33665 in the Search box at the top of Recipezaar, to get back to this recipe easily.